Monday, June 11, 2012

"A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles." ` Tim Cahill

Monday, June 11, 2012 (Day 5)
Hat Rock Campground, Hermisten, OR
Miles:  63  MPH:  12.3  Max:  23  Total:  261

Thank-you God for another glorious day!
Another sleepless night with the train whistle blowing all night!  Our marina campsite was right on the railroad tracks!  Well I was awake for the beautiful sunrise!

Upon leaving Arlington, almost immediately, psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss -- a third flat!!  All out of spare bike tubes, we aimed for the bike store in Hermisten, Oregon.  Here bad luck turned good when we found Scotts Cycle and Sports!  The owner is like a good friend from the moment you meet!  He pulled out his Atlas and provided advice on the next several day's route.  We went for lunch while my bike received new rear brake pads.

I thought I was getting off cheap for lunch.  The coffee shop had delicious croissant sandwiches for only $3.00.  Only they were so good, Jack needed a second!  I really don't think I can continue to feed him for 55 days!  Back at the bike store, I was only charged for materials for my new pads - no labor, then Scott (we think that is his name!) gave us energy gel as a gift and told us to dump all our water bottles and fill up with his filtered water!!  Truly a super nice and friendly man!  We love you Scotts Cycles!

The day got stinking hot. The landscape flattened out.  We left Oregon's forestry woods and entered a desert like landscape.  Huge logging trucks and trucks filled with onions sped by and littered the roadside with onions. 
Thousands of windmills filled the landscape

Dinner!
Our last Oregon evening was spent at Hot Rock Campground--our favorite spot so far!  We wanted a campfire to cook our hot dogs but there wasn't any wood for sale.  A family saw our need and a young boy and girl carrying an arm load of wood came over and said, "We'd like to share!!"  Another young boy, about 6 years old, came over to compare his small bike to mine.  Later he told me that he thought I was a KID!  haha!  He told his Mom he wanted to play with me :-)  Yep made my day!  Loving every minuet with Jack!  He's doing great!! 


OMG!  I miss everyone at home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment