Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping."

Tuesday, June 19, 2012  (Day 13)
Jackson Hot Springs and Resort, Jackson, MT
Miles:  60   MPH:  11  Max:  34  Total: 764

Everywhere signs declare "Historic Marker" - everything is all Lewis and Clark.  Lewis and Clark encountered a thunderstorm here, L&C were snowed in here for months, L&C ran into strong winds here and were forced to turn back.  Well, L&C you don't have anything over us.  Today we had snow, hail, and sleet as we crossed 2 mountain passes.  The only thing we didn't do is fight the Indians!!

A new morning
Exhausted!!

Woke to near freezing temps, but we were toasty in our warm cabin.  Loved the Sula County Store.  I ran into the BFFs this morning....they were leaving separately for the day's ride -- I'm not that brave.  I over heard Whitney talking to her mom telling her that she needed breakfast while her friend wanted an early start.  Whitney said, "Mom I am not a Princess -- my body is telling me that it needs nourishment!!"  haha!!  Not sure a pampered princess would be biking across the US!!

My butt hurt from the ride's start - not a good sign!  We didn't get very far and Jack's derailer jammed...  A quick roadside adjustment fixed it.  I pulled the trailer today to give Jack a break.  The rough road and added friction was killing me!  I couldn't get my speed above 10 mph on the flat!  Then we began the first climb to Lost Trail Pass.  I was having trouble catching my breath and even in my lowest gear difficulty turning the pedal crank.  Slowly up the mountain we zig-zagged the switch back roads.  Reaching the summit, it began to snow!  The EMPTY visitor center had a fresh hot pot of coffee brewing with a sign, "Free Coffee" and the fireplace was lit!  It must have been an angel!  Although it was freezing, I was saturated with sweat so I hung my socks, hat, gloves, jacket, middle layer shirt near the fire to dry while sipping hot coffee for about an hour.  Also needed a few happy pills (Advil)!!

Both Rob and Whitney arrived, so all together we turned off Highway 93 and headed East to Chief Joseph Pass, our highest elevation yet at 7,241 feet!!  Sleet and hail pelted us, a snow squall showered the mountain, and snow piles were still on the roadside!  Montana's summer hasn't yet started!

Briefly, we stopped at the Big Hole National Battlefield Visitor Center in Wisdom, Montana - just love these visitor centers!  It was more of a museum with displays and movies -- no free coffee!

We spotted our first big game - an elk family!  Also saw a momma deer with 2 teeny tiny babies.

Riding for hours, we only saw a few cars, no street signs, only a few homes and supposedly we were on a highway!!  Now we were surrounded by the Bitterroot and Pioneer Mountains as we rode in the "Big Hole Valley."

Temps are to be in the 20s tonight so we opted again for a cabin.  The Jackson Hot Springs resort has natural hot springs to soak our sore muscles!  Tomorrow again 2 more mountain passes!  Loving the adventure!
Jack, our new friend, Rob, and me at dinner
Jackson Hot Springs!

No comments:

Post a Comment