Thursday, July 12, 2012

"The greater the obstacle the more glory in over coming it." ~ Moliere

Thursday, July 12, 2012 (Day 36)
Brewsters Red Hotel, Lanesboro, Minnesota
Miles:  76  MPH:  13  Max:  27  Total:  2148

Jack is a great navigator.  Every night he studies the map.  If he tells me the route is 65 miles, I know that as my odometer turns to 65, we'll be turning into our stop for the day.  Today was the first day we had route problems.  There are so many gravel roads in Minnesota and we also found out, "No more riding the interstates!!"  haha!  I guess we are not in the Wild West any more!  Delays plagued us all day!  In the morning, a "quick" stop at McDonalds for a cup of coffee took almost an hour!  "Help" forgot to show for work!  Then "The Diner" in Grand Meadows was packed as we stopped to grab lunch.  Bob and Betty told us, "You can sit here (at their table)."  An enjoyable lunch but much longer than anticipated. 

Gravel roads popped up everywhere.  We looked and looked for The Root River bike trail to finish our day's journey.  Finally, looking above, we saw the overhead bridge - it was our trail!  To get to it meant, trespassing, climbing a fence, and sneaking through a small opening in another barbed wire fence -- all with our bikes and gear!   The trail was paved -- crazy state  -- paved bike trail and gravel roads -- gotta love it!!   Finally, arriving at the "Old Barn" - a hostile, we were ready for some ice water and a comfortable chair!  Our joy at finishing a tough day was delayed when we were told that no "bunks" were available -- they were full!!

Root River Bike Trail
No internet and cell service added to more delays.  The only recommendation was a motel 6 miles away -- 6 miles West -- we were not back tracking!  When we asked about continuing East, a woman looked at me in my dirty sweaty clothes and helmet hair that is long past due for a cut and told me that the next town was Lanesboro--one of the top 3 tourist destinations in the WORLD.  She then told me with her perfectly manicured nails and toes that if I was LUCKY to find something available that it would be at least $200 - $250.  She said we really should turn back West and that Lanesboro was not for us!!  haha I know I look like a hobo but what happened to "Minnesota nice?"

Planning to have a kitchen at the hostile, we had picked up chips, cheese, and olives to make nachos.  Hungry and exhausted in our tiny room in Lanesboro, Jack and I discussed what we could do for dinner since we didn't even have a microwave oven and most shops were closed for the day.  I told him we could still have nachos.  He asked how without an oven......Easy......we just pretend I told him as I spread chips and cheese on a paper bag on the bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment