Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, July 26, 2012 (Day 50)
Ohiopyle State Park, PA
Miles:  65  MPH:  11  Max:  25  Total:  3086

Oh!  Great Allegheny Passage how I have missed you!! So many memories as I pedaled on the GAP trail today!  I love this trail, and  believe it to be one of the most beautiful bicycle trails in America.  The trail travels through the Allegheny Mountains, along the Youghiogheny River, through two gorges, and has monumental bridges, tunnels, and viaducts.  It's mostly flat, with a smooth surface -- truly a gem. 

In the morning I rode with John.  We saw many deer.  We met up with Jack in Perryopolis for lunch.  Then we emptied our bags again and sent home a set of pannier bags and all of our belongings except for 2 changes of clothing.  We said good-bye to John till we see him at the beach next week!

River view along the beautiful trail.
Jack zoomed ahead on the trail.  I wanted to enjoy every moment so I pedaled to my music and thoughts.  Huge trees formed a welcome canopy of shade.  Water trickled down the mountain side on my  right and the clear Yough River babbled along on my left.  It was so peaceful!

Once in Ohiopyle, we decided to try the State Park for lodging.  To get there meant hiking with our bikes up a steep, gravel path about a mile, but we like to hike-n-bike!  We wanted a cabin, but had to settle for a platform tent.  While at the ranger station, the heavens began to rumble and lightning and thunder filled the sky.  The ranger started telling me to seek shelter in the shower house if I didn't feel safe!  I thought it was funny until the wind roared and the rain pounded on our canvas topped home!  The storm never let up so we never got out for dinner, showers, the bathroom, or water!  A bit scared but otherwise loving the sounds of a wild storm from the inside of our home for the night.
Home for the night during the thunder storm.
First time on the GAP for John
My bike loves this trail!




Love it!

Chilling out in Ohiopyle along the river.

Ohiopyle Falls!



3 comments:

  1. I rode t his trail or at least 40 miles of it back when pregnant with emily; it has been too long. So enjoying your blog♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you need to take Emily back to ride the trail :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete